Thursday, October 26, 2006

 

Kona 06: Expectations and reality

So...
I have set and achieved many goals, in life and athletics. Many goals have been missed. Some examples
High school: Goal to win state cross country championships. Failed. I did set the school record 5K at 5:20 (which still stands 22 yrs running). I lost 1 race my senior season which was almost perfection. That race was state championships.
College: Goal to qualify for nationals, Divison I. Failed. I did gain 6 Varsity Div. I letters however, and traveled with the team as first string.
Post College: Olympic trial qualification in the marathon. Failed. I did however place 18 overall in U.S. mens nationals, and 28th the second year. Have run under 2:30 three times.
First IM CDA 04 in my first season: Goal to break 9:40. Failed. Ran 9:50. I did however post a 5:12 bike and 3:08 marathon on an abissmal swim and transitions, and got to Kona.
Kona 2004: Goal to break 10. Failed. Bonked at mile 6, ran 11:06
Florida 70.3: Goal to break 4:30. Failed. Ran 4:35. Did gain my Kona 05 slot though.
IM CDA 05: Goal to break 9:40. Failed. Ran 9:43. Did gain 3rd and a podium slot
Kona 2005: Goal to break 10. Success!. 9:58, off 5:18 bike and 3:18 run
IM CDA 06: Goal to break 9:40. Place high if not win my age group. Failed. Ran 10:08. Did place 4th and gain second consecutive podium slot and Kona #3.
Kona 2006: Goal to be ready to push hard and break the 9:40 mark if a good day. Failed. Had a good day, but limitations prevaled.
Florida 70.3 2007: Goal to break 4:30
Roth, Germany 07: ?

I have missed or near-missed many of my goals. I am optimistic though, because I have come so close that I know they are appropriate and reachable. Knowing where your goal should be is not an easy task.

Why am I discussing this? Because of the unreachable times posted by the age-groupers at Kona. I once thought that the podium was possible. Seeing the mens 40 division at 9 hours has slapped me into reality. I do not feel I am genetically able to perform to that level. Especially with a hematocrit of 40, when the average person is 43-47.
Ann? Gaining a podium slot at Kona is I believe also nearly impossible. She is somewhat gifted but more so, has learned to work very hard when necessary, has learned how to be coached (a critical factor to success), and is learning the art of resting and recovery.

Goal setting is not arbitrary. It is the 5th discipline. Swim, bike, run, nutrition, and goal analysis.

Setting goals unrealistic will lead to over-training and there are good odds that you wont come close to succeeding, and risk many failures. Failing to achieve a goal by a near miss only fuels the fire. This not such a bad thing. Failing to meet a goal by a huge margin or being forced to quit while trying to achieve it can be a severe blow to athletic ego and effect future achievement.

Setting realistic and obtainable goals is one of the arts of sport. Once the goals are reached, or have been close to being reached, new goals can then be attached. This is one of the keys to success in sport, and in life.
Ann has talent. I have a little talent. I have failed most of my goals, but have succeeded secondarily in others. Ann had a great race. But, for me to tell her she can make the podium at Kona next year, or become some sort of pro would be unrealistic at this point, and I would be cheating her of the great potential she has.
We will both sit down and talk about a realistic goal for her next IM. It may seem somewhat extreme, but it will be reachable if all goes well up to, and on race day.

Remember to set your goals to a level that you can realistically picture yourself completing. I see myself running across the line at Roth in 9:39. I can see that. When I think about it, I get emotional. This will be extremely difficult for me, and the upcoming season will have to be injury free. But I see it, I can almost feel it when I close my eyes. Why not 9:30? 9:20? Sure I can stride for these, but I will likely get hurt or overtrain along the way, and risk not achieving the primary objective..to succeed at my long sought-after goal of sub 9:40, now at age 41.

Just some things to think about.

Comments:
Wow, Dave.

You're trying to go under 9:40 and I hope to go under 10:30 at IMC next year.

And I thought I was athletic!

Good luck in reaching all the goals you set for yourself.
 
Especially with a hematocrit of 40, when the average person is 43-47

Dave what does this mean? Is it something that can be changed. How do you get it measured?

Paul
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?