Sunday, October 08, 2006

 

Final Long Run: 20

Run 20 in 2:22

Ran out 74:30 to 10 mile mark. First 2 in 16 minutes to warm up, then around 7:20 pace to the turn around.
From 10-14, ran 7 min pace, then came in final 6 in 39:30 (6:29/mile) Total 10 back in 67:30 (6:45/mile)

Hamstring tight, but no worse than its been. Overall, going out 7:20 pace, and even the string of 7's in the middle felt comfortable pace. Felt like I was working a bit the final 6 as I moved from zone 1/2 into zone 3/4 with a few seconds in zone 5 on some inclines.
Feel like if I rested and ran a marathon at this point, could run aroun 2:50 or so. I have finally gotten to the point that running 7 per mile feels fairly easy, zone 1.

*Today and last wed. on my brick were the first 2 longer runs that I have felt like a runner again. No doubt, the 4 X 20 mile runs before Kona has helped. I have held off my chronic hamstring pain to the point of being able to complete the workouts needed. Ideally, I would have liked to get to the point of running 20 sub 7 to 10 and back 10 in 6:20 or so, but at least I am in decent shape. If I dont blow it all on the bike, I am confident I will PR in the marathon at Kona (3:18 in 2005).

Zone summary:
1 = 40% (58')
2 = 38% (54')
3 = 12% (17')
4 = 6% (8')
5 = 4% (5')

Diet:
Breakfast: 1/2 cup of oats before run. Small coffee
Lunch: Took nutrition during run every 20-22 minutes, 25 grams maltodextrin in 2 oz water portions. Carried additional water to total 4-5 oz per dose. Recovery drink after, the usual.
Baja fresh chicken and rice bowl with black beans about an hour later.
Dinner: sushi, copious rice.

Comments:
Hi Libor.
Well, I think that the volume and intensity I have done on a few workouts in these final pre-Kona weeks is all about periodization. Its difficult not to overtrain using the periodization model. Rest trumps everything. I rested when needed this summer, esp off my 30+ hour week and a couple of 25+ hr weeks. This allowed me to handle some big workouts in the final weeks. If I had not been prepared, I would have likely crashed off these. How do I know I havent overtrained? Because I am still getting faster within the 2 week window of the race. My power on the bike is still impoving, and my swims are staying strong. This is in contrast to 2004, when I was counting the days to my 2 week taper because I was so tired from doing big workouts, and not being fit enough to handle them. Periodization works, as long as you dont become a slave to the pre-determined workouts and force yourself through them. You still have to rest and rebuild if necessary, in order to go into your peak phase rested, and as strong as possible.
 
Wow, just awesome pace/zone. Some day Libor and I might get there. Interesting to hear you say don't be a slave to your schedule and take rest when needed. A lot of us are afraid to cut back when fatigued, I know I do, thinking I'm just being a wimp and push through another hard workout and get further trashed.
 
Finding the balance is a key to success in IM distance. Esp for those of us who work full time jobs and need necessary recovery. The adaptations necessary to excel under stress are not (in my opinion) acquired from training under pre-existing muscular damage and stress. I have learned this in many marathon training builds in the past. I do however, feel that pushing yourself above and beyond the "limit" when ready will result in adaptive responses to stress. The insidious mechanisms of producing stress from a recovered state to an exhaustive state is far better in simulating race conditions. In my big 10/62/10 brick last week, I reached this level in the final 5 miles of my second 10 mile run, hitting 6:30's per mile. Had I been tired going in, I likely would have quit before the second run, or only run 2-3 miles slow...never giving myself a chance to really simulate that final 30 minutes of an IM race.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?