Wednesday, October 04, 2006

 

Big Brick: Run 10 (69:30)/Bike 62 (2:55)/Run 10 (69:30)

Even coming off 6K swimming and 8 miles running yesterday, I was still planning on something bigger today. I didnt really think about it though because dwelling on a big workout can sometimes be detrimental. I figured I would run 2X8 mile runs but knew I had to do 20 today. Then I figured I would just run 10, go for a nice bike ride, then do 4-6 more. I pretty much depleted my legs running sub-7 pace the first 10, and when I got on the bike, 20 mph seemed fairly difficult to maintain. However, I was just getting my nutrition started and after about 90 minutes of consistent intake, I started to feel ready to go. So, I pushed the final 30 miles figuring I would either not run, or just run 4 off the bike. Of course, after legs being thoroughly depleted off the bike, I started running, the first mile in 8 min. I knew I had established my high blood glucose levels, and I know I can maintain a reasonable pace despite depleted legs. When I got to the 2 mile mark to turn around, I figured "what's one more mile". By the time I got to the 3 mile mark, I started getting into the zone and figured I would go on to 5. By the time I got to 5 at the turn around, I was mentally ready to go. I hit my split and decided I could run 6:30 pace on the way back if I really focused.

This is what you have to do sometimes to get through workouts, and I do it often, esp when tired. You have to lie to yourself. Sometimes I convince myself on what I will do for the workout because it seems more possible at the time. I really believe it, until I get to that point and decide to push on. This is part of setting smaller, manageable goals with the intent of accomplishing a larger goal. This is part of the training involved to become accustomed to striving for what you know you can achieve.



First Run 10 miles 1:09.30, 400 ft ascent HR ave 124 (zone 1) mx 137 (zone 2)
65% zone 1, 35% zone 2
Transition of 8 minutes
Bike 62, 2:55
First 32, ave Power 220 (0-484), HR ave 112, mx 127, cadence 92, speed 20.2 mph
Final 30, ave Power 250 (120-608 ), HR ave 128, mx 155, cadence 90 , speed 22.8 mph
Entire ride Power 236 (0-608) Normal power 247 (taking out the zero power segments), HR ave 127, mx 155, cadence 91, speed 21.6 mph
Transition of 6 minutes
Second Run 10 miles 1:09.30, out 5 in 37:00 (7:25 pace) back in 32:30 same course as first run: HR ave 142 (high zone 3), mx 163 (5c)
14% zone 2, 43% zone 3, 36% zone 4, 7% zone 5

*This workout was a little tough. Hammering home the final 5 miles at 6:30 pace made it tough. Hamstring very tight but able to run without too much trouble. I placed a 1 cm spacer to raise my aerobars on sunday, and another 1 cm spacer today before the ride. I think this helps the hamstring. I was very low before (couldnt get any lower as I had no spacers under the stem and my stem reversed at a down angle)

Breakfast: 5 pieces of thin whole wheat french toast, syrup, 16 oz skim
Lunch: Nutrition on ride, Recovery drink after (took recovery 20 minutes after workout, as I was pretty nauseated once I stopped running. Some sips of water took care of it)
Dinner: Thai chicken w/ mushrooms, garlic, rice. Water, diet sierra mist.

Comments:
Thanks.
The montra for Kona is
"have no expectations, but be ready for anything"

That's how it is there. You may be in the shape of your life, but run 30-45 min slower than your qualifier time because of the heat and winds. However, this doesnt mean you give up on the training. In case it happens to be a tolerable day, you have to be ready to go!
 
Quality stuff david,

Build up some serious fitness and mental strength with days like those

paul
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?