Friday, September 01, 2006

 

Swim 4400/run 11/Bike 51

Workout Summary: Swim 4000m (4400 yd, 1:22)/Run 11 (hills, 1:32)/Bike 51 (2:48, 1400 ascent)

Swim 7:30am: Video taped by Coach Bob Bruce (fmr Oregon State and U of Indiana coach, Dennis Baker's coach). This guy is the best I have seen. 2 major corrections in my stroke. I swam faster on the same morning in the masters workout we did, and with less effort. This guy knows. Detailed analysis of the video both from the side and front, and he is sending a DVD with slow motion and single frame analysis with voice over on monday. All for 50.00 He invited us to join his masters team workout which we did, as well as tomarrow morning's workout. During today's masters workout, he gave Ann and I our own lane (1) and spent the hour coaching us. He (and the others I think) were exited to have 2 kona bound athletes to coach since about all in the water were triathletes. Oh yeah, no charge to swim with his team, outdoor 50 meter pool.

600 wu with video. Then 1200 additonal warm up with drills he showed us.
then:15 X 100m on 2 min cycle. First 2 in 1:30 (shocking) Bob yelled at me to slow the hell down and work on my stroke. Next 13 in 1:35 and I thought I was swimming "slow". The other day, my 100's were 1:38 and I was pushing hard as hell. I hope this will be a break through in the next few weeks. then 2 X 200 relaxed, breathing every third, in 3:25. Cool down pull to equal 4000.
then 10 min transition to run.
Run 11 (1:32), slow wu with Ann as well as cd.
Pilot Butte Hill run X 3. This is a hill. Marked every 440 yd. 450 ft ascent. Total about 1 mile + 200 yds to the top. Equal jog down.
1 = 9:45, HR ave 130/mx 135 (zone 3)
2 = 9:35, HR ave 140/mx 149 (held top of zone 4, tough to do)
3 = 9:25, HR ave 145/mx 156 (zone 5a/b final 5 min)
Remainder of workout in zone 1. Its amazing how high the HR gets with only a 10 second improvement on each run. First 2 controlled effort, and the last one I felt like I was going to faint, then throw up...the entire final 2 mintutes.
Eat lunch, 60 min transition to bike.

Bike 51 in 2:48
First hour easy wu with Ann, about 16 miles. Then 1 hour TT. This was tough! At mile 3, started an ascent over 700 ft against the wind for 7 miles. Final 3 miles flat with a hard 20 mph head wind. I held power 300-350 for nearly 10 minutes at the end. This smoked my legs. Ave power dropped a bit on 2 turn arounds. When you dont pedal for 10 seconds, power goes to zero, which tends to drop average. I took it how it read though.
60 min TT
750 ft ascent
21 mph, ave cadence = 90
ave power = 217, max 512, final 20 ave.= 265, min. = zero (min. over 10 seconds 100)
HR ave 124 (zone 2), max 142 (zone 4, entire final 20 min)
For entire ride, ave power 166, 5 sec. max = 710, 18.2 mph ave, 80 rpm.

Thoughts on the day.
Riding alone out of the mountains as the sun set tonight. Bathed in soft gold light, reflection of emerald off the pines. The only sound is my breath, the chain, and the wind through my helmet. Thinking of my wife, her drive to be the best she can be. My friends in life and in training, Rob and Erin, Dan, Grant, Hannes, Todd, and Garren. The few I "coach" (really only give advice). How they all motivate me in their own ways. My circle of friends I've grown to meet through Ironheads. Of course Scott/Sarah Mcmillan and Rob Williams. The reality of my loss when they leave. Rob taught Ann and I how to swim. The reality that the very few rides we had together meant alot to me. I still imagine Scotty riding with me when I time trial and feel his presence when he's not there. I wonder how long that will last when they are gone for good. The motivation Rob has given me, even though I have never told him as much. That guy is amazing to me. He will hit a big one someday.
I dont know why I feel different about these two, I guess it's because Scott and Rob are the first 2 Triathletes I came to know before I decided to go for Kona in my first season. I have learned much more from them then they understand, just by pure observation of them both. I looked up to them and admired them as the athletes they were, and are. Of course their potential as the elite athletes they will become. I will miss them alot. I know when I see them again, at a race, when they visit Portland, whenever, it will seem like they never left. This is the bond formed when a common goal is shared, through all the work, a common effort to achieve. All these things are why I love this sport. This is what life is about.

Diet:
Breakfast: 3 eggs, 3 pancakes, hash browns, large grapefruit juice, coffee.
Lunch: Turkey and swiss on wheat, 2 oz kettle chips, ginger cookie and a ginger non fat latte.
Ride: 1 gel and 54 oz water.
Dinner: 6 oz steak with mushrooms, pasta shells, 2 ears of corn on the cob. diet shasta and 16 oz carrot juice. 2 ginger cookies and a beer for dessert.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?