Thursday, July 20, 2006

 
Workout Summary/Nutrition: Run 5 (40')/Swim 3000 (52')

am: had to be at work by 7 so took the morning off.
6 pm: Run 5 TM (40:30)
Run, 1 mile wu in 8:30, then 4 at 8 min pace. This felt ok on my hamstring so I didnt pick it up. I increased the incline .5% every 1/2 mile though, until 3% then held. Dropped to 1% final mile because HR was creeping into zone 3. I wanted to run mostly zone 2 the second 1/2 of the run. Zone 2 is a good solid zone that isnt recovery pace, but feels like you can hold for well over an hour.
Zone Summary
1 = 54 % (22')
2 = 40% (16')
3 = 5% (2')

Then swim 3000 (52')
500 pull wu and cd.
10 X 200/30.
Strong set. 3 of them in 2:51, 1 in 2:49 and 7 in 2:50. I think this is the strongest 200 set I've done to date. Arms tired after 5 but focused on form and balance, esp head position while breathing, keeping one eye under water and head inline with water-line, like the side drill.
Managed to swim 4 of last 5 in 2:50.




* Notice my diet on bigger workout days and after. I typically eat salad/protein and light carb snack for lunch on easy days. Yesterday, I had pasta for lunch because I had hill intervals on the bike that afternoon. After 500 cal recovery drink following the workout, I had protein and 2 forms of carbs for dinner. The morning after the hard workout (this morning) oats with protein and sugar for breakfast. (more carbs)

*All you need to do is pattern your diet to coincide with the workout intensity and duration. You cant eat heavy carbs every day or you will not get to racing weight. Besides, its metabolically advantagous to be "catabolic" between difficult workouts. I am always a little hungry because of this, but that is part of learning discipline and it makes me stronger. Believe me salad with chicken, small amounts of carbs on easy days is not fun for me, its work. Also, controlling the amount of carbs after a long workout by not over-eating is also tough.

*You DO however need to replace y0ur spent carbs over a 24 hour period though. This is by frequent carbs in managable amounts the 24 hours following the workout. For instance, today I will again have more carbs than usual for lunch and dinner. Tomarrow, second day after my hard workout, I will move back to a catabolic diet, more on protein and light calorie foods. Saturday, my hard workout again, I will repeat the cycle by having carbs prior to the workout and after, and repeat on sunday. Monday, another recovery day, I will eat light again, ect ect.
*Dont forget, about 50% of the caloric expense is from fat, not carbs. You do not need to replace all of your estimated lost calories in the form of carbs, only about 1/2.

Diet:
Breakfast: 3/4 cup rolled oats with heaping tbs bwn sugar + 30 grams added protein, 12 oz water. Med. coffee w cream after.
Lunch: Baja Fresh chicken bowl w/ black beans and rice, tomatoes, peppers. This is a great dish, ultra-low fat but packed with carbs and protein. Can of Diet shasta for drink.
Afternoon: 1 apple and cup of herbal caffeine free tea
Dinner: 8 oz chicken breast baked with stuffing and a cream sauce (20 g fat total), 16 oz carrot juice.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?