Saturday, July 22, 2006

 

Torture 10,000

Workout Summary: Bike 101 (6:40 and 10,040 ascent)

Dan Waltz and I had our own little "torture 10,000" today. Total ride had less than 10 miles of flat, the rest was rolling with numerous big climbs over 8% grade. Worked 8-1pm so didnt get on the bike until 2pm. About 90 degrees so we biked out to Eagle creek park via the hilliest route I know. Then climbed the torture 10000 course out of eagle creek to Sandy. From there, dropped into Bull run, climbed up Marmot rd then back down into bull run. Then up the 1000 ft climb and back down toward Corbett. Instead of going into corbet though, we climbed up Louden road which put us out about the 4 mile mark up toward larch, another 800 ft climb. Here we were at 60 miles and 6000 ft. Dropped down to corbet and took the side roads from there between state hwy and columbia river to add 4 more climbs before crossing the sandy river at stark. Then over the river and out to 302nd for the monster 14% grade hill over 1000 meters. Then kept climbing all the way home. The most difficult part of this ride was from mile 90-101. In the final 11 miles, I climbed 1900 feet. Worked the hills to mile 90 very hard, pushing HR into zone 4 and 5 for extended periods. Final 11 miles though was about survival. A little dizzy, fatigued, and still very hot, and hamstring starting to sting. I am ok with this the final 30 minutes or so...this is where the adaptation occurs. I would not want this to happen with more than an hour left however, as this is how you can break yourself down to the point that it takes several days to recover.

Nutrition
Pre ride weight = 167 lb, post ride 160.2
Took 173 oz of fluid during ride. Basically about 27 oz per hour. Ran out of all fluids in the final 30 minutes, with 1200 feet of climbing still to do.
Took 2 gels during ride, all other nutrition was by maltodextrin solution. 30 grams in 5.5 oz (150 grams in a 27 oz bottle) Had 2 of these and didnt start nutrition until the 1 hour mark. First nutrition bottle had 300 mg sodium solution, and I double it to 600 for the second bottle (each bottle is 1 hour 40 minutes of nutrition). Had no problems with the higher salt content so I will use this forumula for all hot days. Nutrition about every 20 minutes with an additional 4-5 oz of water 3-4 time per hour additionally.
* I urinated 3 times, probably about 8 oz each. Still my 7 lb wt loss is 3 lbs more than what I want my max to be. This means another 48 oz of water somewhere? I could have drank another 32 oz maybe, but probably just urinated some of it out. I was pretty hydrated since I was urinating. I think the final 30 minutes I could have used another 16 oz fluids, but I dont think I could have done too much more than that. On very hot days, this is the basis of one of the ways to bonk. You just cant control the loss of fluids and its hard to replace. You just have to slow down sometimes so you lose less water metabolically and allow time to replace some.
*Bottom line, I will take even more water next time and try to get my weight loss under more control. I had zero problems taking what I did today so I am sure I could push it further.
* Recovery: 100 grams maltodextrin + 30 grams protein + 10 grams glutamine. Chased this down with 16 oz carrot/orange juice.

Zone Summary:
Zone 1 = 2:51
Zone 2 = 1:20
Zone 3 = 1:02
Zone 4 = 1:03
Zone 5a=18'
Zone 5b=5'
*Good distribution of HR throughout zones.

Diet:
Breakfast: 1 cup oats w/ bwn sugar + 25 g protein added. 8 oz orange juice
Midmorning: cinnamon roll and med. coffee
Lunch: Bike nutrition
Dinner: 30 min after recovery drink, went out for sushi. Had about 2 rolls, and soup. Lots of water.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?