Monday, July 10, 2006

 
Mon 7/10: Monday Quote, keep it realistic


"You can't climb up to the second floor without a ladder....When you set your aim too high and don't fulfill it, then your enthusiasm turns to bitterness. Try for a goal that's reasonable, and then gradually raise it."

Emil Zatopek


*Weight: 154.4, body fat 7.3 %

*Will not design a template for Kona. I will determine each upcoming week purely based on how I feel. Last year's Kona prep was pretty damn good from my own standpoint, esp on Ann's results at Florida, even with her groin spasm on the bike. I will make a few variations from last summer, but will be fairly consistent this year, since it seemed to work last year.
* Havent run in 2 weeks, will give it several more days, depending on the hamstring. Hamstring feels decent today, its the piriformis and glute that's the problem, now.
I will probably start running several short runs, 3-4 miles so as to not strain the hamstring. I will complete a couple of weeks of these runs and see how I feel. Will do absolutely no speed work until end of August. Primary goal is to work up distance at an easy pace, and re-start hill workouts when ready.
*Goals for Kona: I have no goals for Kona, and no expectations. I want that finishers medal. That's my atitude toward this race, which is capable of tearing anyone down to walking on any given year. I will have myself ready though, in case its a good day, so I can use it. My bike is as strong as ever, my swim is fine (for me), so I need to get my run back. Last year's 3:18 marathon at Kona off a 5:18 bike was OK but the conditions were good and I could have picked up another 10 minutes at least on the bike in retrospect. Would love to run around 3:10 if reasonable conditions, but I will make that determination around the 8 mile mark on the spot during the race. I may not be capable, so will slow down if I need to. My swim of 1:12 was below average last year, would like to break 1:10 so we'll see. I have no set goal on the bike. Far to variable conditions to try to set a goal.

Workout:
a.m. off
p.m.
Swim :Sweet...I get to the pool and realize all my stuff and bag are sitting on my kitchen floor at home. So, I got quite a few errands finished instead of the workout. Will try to get some swimming in tomarrow morning.

Diet:
Breakfast: 2 yogurts and 16 oz coffee
Lunch: Salad with chicken breast and mixed vegies, low fat dressing. 2 oz bag of kettle chips, diet orange soda.
*why do I eat a small amount of kettle chips so frequently for lunch? They have 18 grams of fat, 14 grams of which is monounsaturated. If going to eat fat, this is the best type. Some fat is vital to form hormones and normal steroids. I think cutting too much fat out of the diet can be detrimental. However, I do believe in moderation and try to keep my daily fat intake to under 50 grams (RDA is around 80/day) , and sometimes under 30 grams depending on the workout done the day before and what is to come that day. I dont eat many nuts because you can get the high mono/polyunsaturated fats in other foods that arent tremendously high in calories. A single handful of nuts can be more than 60 gams of fat...which is more than I eat for an entire day. I am not saying all the time, you do have to eat some good old fashioned chocolate, dessert, saturated fat, ect. Just keep it modest and infrequent.
Afternoon: non-fat latte and cliff protein bar
Dinner: 6 oz beef tips with 1 cup mashed potatoes, salad w/ low fat ceasar. 1 beer. About 2 cups low fat strawberry ice cream (12 g fat total) for dessert.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?